Tokutei Guinou Visa – Specified Skills 1

Tokutei Guinou Visa – Specified Skills 1

23 de June de 2019 Comments Off on Tokutei Guinou Visa – Specified Skills 1 By Kinjo
Be the first to receive our updates - click here

Who qualifies for the new visa?

There are 2 new visa types being introduced: Specified Skills 1 and Specified Skills 2. Of the two, Specified Skills 1 is the more immediately accessible. Let’s look at this in more detail.

Specified Skills 1

Unlike other visas for foreigners in Japan, such as Specialist in Humanities or Instructor, which typically require a university degree or a decade or so of practical experience if you don’t have a degree, the manual nature of the work involved for this new visa means that the bar to entry is different.

There are certain requisites that will need to be met. Firstly, you will need to have some Japanese ability. It is thought that Japanese Language Proficiency Test level N4 is the minimum standard, though this may be higher depending on which industry you enter. It stands to reason that a customer- facing role will require a higher command of the local language than factory work would.

Secondly, you will be required to have a degree of skill in the industry you have applied for. Though the government hasn’t been too specific on this so far, based on past cases, this means either a locally recognized certification in the area of work, or at least a year or two of experience.

If you are currently in Japan on the Technical Intern Training visa, then it may also be possible to upgrade to the Specified Skills 1 visa when your internship is complete, should you wish to remain in Japan.

There are, however, some additional caveats.

Specified Skills 1 visa holders are only allowed to remain in the country for a maximum of 5 years, and they are not, in principle, allowed to bring their family with them.

If you wish to stay in Japan longer, or to bring your family to live with you, then, in time, you will need to upgrade to a Specified Skills 2 visa. This can be done if you can prove that you have achieved a higher level of specialism in your area of work during your time in Japan. For example, if you attained additional certification or gained a promotion within your company.


Teacher, journalist and now blogger.

More Articles By Liam Carrigan

Tokutei Guinou Visa – Specified Skills 2

Comments are closed